Sunday, July 23, 2006

Distortions In Time And Space


DISTORTIONS IN TIME AND SPACE


DISTORTIONS IN TIME AND SPACE © Scott Monteith

10" x 11" Oil Stick and Charcoal





I was reading about Pablo Picasso the other day (as my mind goes to a song in Repo Man). people liked to talk about him and his love affairs more than they liked his art. I guess he liked it too, he painted about them. but no one ever saw the paintings of his mistresses until they were worth a lot of money (he was dead). as he got older other artists dismissed his work as that of a perverted old man. finally, after he was dead, they realized he was just ahead of his time and they called it neo expressionism. if you dont like Picasso look at his early stuff from his 20s, he was a very good realist (that means he could actually draw). and like Bosch he learned from his dad at an early age.

the same was true of Frida Kahlo. her troubled life (and idiot artist husband) was of more interest than her "little paintings." Diego was a great artist but as a person hed be on my shit list. so this is where I mention all my troubles ... naw, its all there in my pictures too. thats how artists usually cope, they put it all out there in their work. that and a little alcohol and some wild, crazy love making. I guess that would help just about anyone cope. I should try that *grin*.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home