Thursday, July 13, 2006

Down


DOWN


DOWN © Scott Monteith

36" x 30" Acrylic on Canvas



its a beautiful day but you know something is going down. although its hot its not as hot as it could be still the animals and birds are laying low. since Sunday there have been 3 wildfires burning in the area. because of my location the smoke is mostly blown to the other side of the valley unless it is a fire in the park itself. both of those fires where more quickly contained.

the night before the sunset was only slightly red with a lot of purple haze. it made me think of the sky in one of my alien prints. last night the sun set an intense lava lamp red - I cant think of a better description. the sun was glowing, almost transparent looking and very sinister. I wanted to grab my apocalypse sculptures and photograph them against it but the sun was too low on the horizon and I wasnt prepared. the sun rises and sets quickly if you actually watch it.

the fire is good in the sense that a wildfire in the area is inevitable. it is better that it burns now than in 2 or 3 years with even more fuel and more people in the area. everything rebounds quite quickly and nature, unlike man, has a way of moving right along with life despite the tragedies. I would prefer a utopia with everything in check but perhaps thats what already exists, man just has his own unrealistic expectations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home